USAAF Bell P39 Q Airacobra
Eduard 1/48I did this scale model several years ago. The kit is one of Eduard's early re-boxes (kit number - 8063 ) of the original issue. It didn't have photo etched parts but had die cut masks and cast weight. Have in mind the original is issued in 2000 and it was showing to the modelers that Eduard will have a great future. The kit is nicely detailed and have crisp pane lines. Assembly is almost trouble free.
Despite the good detail I had to put in something from myself... I find it extremely difficult to build something OOB.
As usual I started from the cockpit. Here i drilled some holes in the bulkhead behind the pilots seat and added some wires. Pilot's seat received masking tape belts with thin wire buckles and some other details.
The rest of the interior was pretty much OOB. For painting I used Life Color's Interior green scaled with Valejo flat white. Also did some tear and wear with lightened base color and aluminium. All was followed by oil wash.
I masked the canopy exterior with the provided die cut masks. With masking tape I made masks for the interior using the leftover of the original masks a template. In my opinion it always adds a little something to paint the interior of the canopy.
The wheel wells needed some more work. Using sheet styrene, stretched sprue and various wires i recreated some of the details I have seen on photos.
I painted them with my own mixture of Yellow Zinc Chromate, Again oil wash was applied.
The landing gear legs and wheel well covers were painter Interior Green as seen on workaround of unrestored aircraft.
I drilled out the exhausts, painted them with flat black and then dry brushed with Humbrol Metal cote - polished steel (27003)
Model assembly went pretty smooth. I primed it with Tamiya Fine primer and did some preshading. For the camo I used Life color acrylics scaled down wilt Valejo flat white. After base colors were done i added some more white and simulated wear and tear. On several places I also used aluminium.
The walkways were painted flat black with the help of kit supplied masks.
Everything was sealed with clear varnish, then decals were applied. In order do obtain more realism i faded the decals with well diluted mixture of clear varnish and white paint.
Pin wash and various stains were performed using oils. I gave it a coat of satin varnish and airbrushed exhaust stains.
Now to pictures of the completed model
Best regards and happy modelling.